Saltdean United FC 3-2 Broadbridge Heath FC

Saltdean United FC 3-2 Broadbridge Heath FC

7th August 2018 0 First Team

Tigers triumph against the Bears

This was the third time in four games against Saltdean United that Heath have taken a 2-0 lead and ended up on the losing side.

The first half seemed to go so well for the Bears who had the majority of possession, created the better chances and took the lead 8 minutes before the break.  Early Heath pressure saw a shot from Devon Fender go narrowly over the crossbar and Ben Chowney making his starting debut, almost scored following a defensive error that was cleared away by a retreating defender.

United’s first attempt on target wasn’t until the 28th minute when Mark Fox’s goal kick was miscued and went straight to Jamie Brotherton who advanced towards goal but shot straight at the Heath keeper who gathered comfortably.

Heath took a deserved lead in the 37th minute, Tom Bold took a corner from the left and played it towards Marlon Maxwell at the far post, the ball came out to Lee Carney who side-stepped a challenge before drilling in a low right foot shot from the edge of the box into the back of the net.

In the closing stages of the half Saltdean’s Josh Marshall had an effort well saved by Fox at the near post and it remained 0-1 at the break.

Heath doubled their lead 4 minutes into the restart, Scott Weller intercepted a cross-field pass and took the ball down the left flank before crossing into the path of Ben Hands who struck it first time but the ball was blocked by the keeper on the goal-line and came out to Fender who rifled it into the net.

Now the home-side upped their game and pulled a goal back in the 58th minute when Fox came off his line to gather an in-swinging cross from the right but under pressure it slipped out of his grasp and fell to the feet of Ben Bacon who stabbed it home from close range. That goal seemed to inspire the home-side who continued to push forward in search of the equaliser and Matt Hurley tested his luck with a shot from distance that went narrowly over the Heath crossbar.

The equaliser arrived in the 66th minute, Heath gave away a needless free kick some 25 yards from goal, Curtis Gayler stepped up to take the kick and hit a low right foot shot past the defensive wall that flew off the wet surface and went under the Heath keepers outstretched body into the corner of the net.

The turnaround was complete 4 minutes later when Gayler received the ball from a throw-on on the left and tried his luck with a speculative right foot shot from distance that dipped and swerved on its way to goal beating the Heath keeper who’d misjudged the flight of the ball.

Heath rallied in the final 10 minutes of the match with Cousins, Bold and Fender all having goal attempts but it wasn’t to be and despite a good team performance the Bears came away without any reward.

Next up is a home FA Cup match against Shoreham on Saturday.

BBH: Fox, Jones, Robinson, Maxwell, Carney, Bold, Chowney, Weller, Fender, Cousins, Hands

Subs:  (Nourse 73), (D.Riecker 82), L.Riecker, Trigwell.

Saltdean: Stroomberg, Rogers, Whitehead, Berry, Jones, Hurley, Gayler, Marshall, Bacon, Brotherton, Kinkene,

Subs: Street, Pryor.

See highlights of the game:

Written By: Andy Crisp 07/08/2018

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *