Broadbridge Heath 0-0 Pagham

Broadbridge Heath 0-0 Pagham

11th September 2018 0 First Team

Since returning to the league’s Premier Division, Heath have failed to get a single point at home to the Lions of Pagham and when they were reduced to 10 in first half injury time it looked like that sorry record would continue.

Scott Weller had the first chance of the game when the Heath midfield player tried his luck with a long range shot that went straight into the arms of the Pagham keeper James Binfield.

The visitors looked particular dangerous on the counter attack and midway through the half James Thurgar got away from the Heath defence and chipped the advancing Kieron Thorp but his shot sailed wide of the right post, and there was a repeat of that move 10 minutes before the break but again the No 11 shot wide of the post.  In between those efforts Weller was unlucky with a right foot shot from 20 yards that Binfield saved at full length low to his left.

The game swung in Pagham’s favour in first half injury time when Kieron Thorp, making his home debut, came sprinting off his line to clear the ball and clattered straight into the Lions striker, an easy decision for the referee who immediately produced a red card from his back pocket and the Bears were down to 10.

Richard Wetton, signed from Lingfield just 24 hours earlier, volunteered to take over in goal for the Bears who started the second period on the ascendancy with Devon Fender twice going close and Marlon Maxwell glancing a header just inches wide of Binfield’s right hand post.

At the other end the Lions were testing Wetton’s handling with shots from distance but things evened up on the hour when Howard Neighbour’s shot was gathered comfortably by Wetton who was then floored by Ryan Davidson who crashed into the stand-in keeper leaving both players in need of treatment, after several minutes Davidson got off the ground and was shown a yellow card for the foul proceeded immediately by a red for his second caution of the game.

Play continued from end to end with George Bingham closest for the visitors with a low shot just wide of the post but the best chance of the match came in the 93rd minutes when Fender broke away down the right and played the ball into Louis Blake who’d only been on the field for a couple of minutes but Binfield was off his line quickly to smoother the shot.

In the final minute Pagham were reduced to nine when a late Andy Chick challenge was considered dangerous by the match referee who produced his red card for the third time in the game.

So an excellent point for the Bears who had to play for 45 minutes without a recognised keeper, a good display by Wetton in goal who looked a natural but said it was the first time he’d played in goal since the Under 11’s.

On Saturday Heath are in FA Vase action when they travel to East Preston, Kick Off 3.00pm

BBH: Thorp, Clark, Robinson, Woodburn, Maxwell, Bold, Carney, Weller, Howell (Blake 92), Fender, Wetton.

BBH Player of the Match: Marlon Maxwell

Match Report By Andy Crisp

Attendance: 89

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *