Eastbourne Town 3-2 Broadbridge Heath

Eastbourne Town 3-2 Broadbridge Heath

6th October 2018 0 First Team

Heath Lose Out at the Death ……

Heath travelled to Eastbourne Town without the injured Alfie Jones, Rob Godfrey, Marlon Maxwell and Jamie Robinson, as well as the unavailable Kieron Thorp, Richard Wetton and Tim Cook. Mark Fox deputised in goal and Scott Weller filled in at full back.

Eastbourne started strongly and Andy Waddingham and Martyn Flack had to be alert to a number of dangerous balls into the Heath penalty area and the corner count steadily rose. Heath gradually got a foothold and Max Howell began to get behind the home defence. Then on 18 minutes Dean Wright jinked inside his marker and curled his shot into the bottom corner to give Heath the lead rather against the run of play.

The lead was short lived, however. Another dangerous cross was punched clear by Fox but the ball was driven back in and diverted in from one yard out by the suspiciously offside looking Dan Perry. Heath were then further depleted by an injury to Lee Carney who was replaced by Dane Riecker. The game took another turn right on half time When Devon Fender got away down the left and crossed deep into the Town area and Max Howell drove the ball back into the same corner Wright had got earlier to give Heath the advantage at the break.

The second half was much less eventful with Heath, for the most part, containing the home side’s attempt to get back into the game, but as the game entered the closing stages, Heath lost Max Howell to injury with Charlie Pitcher replacing him and Eastbourne stepped up the pressure with a deflected shot hitting the outside of the post and two other shots whistling narrowly wide. Then in the 94th minute a cross from the left was headed in by Cole as Fox tried to gather it and the vociferous support behind the goal erupted.

Things got worse for Heath as Pitcher tangled with a Town defender off the ball and received his marching orders. Then 9 minutes into stoppage time a Heath clearance fell to a Town player 25 yards out and Scott Weller dived into the tackle. The referee was immediately surrounded by both sets of players and when the dust settled Weller became the second recipient of the referee’s red card. To complete a miserable ten minutes, the ensuing free kick deflected off the wall and looped over Fox to complete the Eastbourne comeback.

So a game that for 94 minutes Heath appeared to have ground out a win from, despite a below-par performance, turned sour in the last 6 minutes of stoppage time. Steve Painter will hopefully welcome back some of yesterday’s absentees for Tuesday night’s trip to Saltdean for the RUR Cup tie and next week’s league game against Lancing.

Broadbridge Heath : Fox, Chowney, Weller, Waddingham, Flack, Howard-Bold, Carney (D.Riecker), Cousins, Fender, Wright, Howell (Pitcher). Unused sub : Blake.

Match Report by : Sam Chapman

Attendance : 215

Here’s the video from the Eastbourne Town Supports on Twitter:

The video was even mentioned by Ian Wright! :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *