Saltdean United 3-1 Broadbridge Heath

Saltdean United 3-1 Broadbridge Heath

9th October 2018 0 First Team

Sussex Principal RUR Charity Cup

This was the 3rd meeting between the two sides already this season and once again it was the Tigers who came out on top winning by 3-1, adding to their League and Senior Cup wins earlier in the season.

Heath were behind within 2 minutes of the start when a corner from the right was converted by Marcus Allen who was left completely free to place a right foot shot inside the near post.

The Bears gradually got into the game with George Cousins going close when he rifled a shot from the edge of the penalty area which went straight into the arms of Nathan Stroomberg but on 28 minutes the score was level when Tom Bold shrugged off two defenders before striking a right foot shot from distance that was deflected straight into the path of Tim Cook who picked his spot from 12 yards to shoot low past Stroomberg into the net.

It didn’t take long for the home-side to regain their lead when, within a minute, they won another corner on the right. The ball was played into an unmarked Ashley Jones who placed a header wide of Kieron Thorp to put his side back in front.

The game continued from end to end but the Tigers looked more likely to score with striker Toby House a constant threat to the Heath defence.

When another corner was won some 15 minutes before the break there were a few desperate calls from the Heath supporters to “pick up a man” but their cries were ignored as yet another free header was blocked on the line by Mitchell Clark. Martyn Flack half-cleared the ball to the edge of the penalty area where fullback Luc Doherty took a touch before blasting the ball through a crowded area into the net.

Heath played better in the second period, with Devon Fender moving into midfield to plug a big hole left by the injured Lee Carney and suspended Scott Weller but, despite having more of the play, Stroomberg was rarely troubled, the best chance falling to Tim Cook who struck a post on 75 minutes but the damage had been done in the first half by some dreadful schoolboy defending.

So ends Heath’s hopes of cup silverware for another season and they can now turn their attention to league football starting with the visit of Lancing to the Leisure Centre on Saturday.

BBH Team: Thorp, Clark, Findlay, Flack, Waddingham, Bold, Cousins, Wright, Fender, Howell, Cook.
Unused Subs: D. Riecker, L. Riecker, L. Blake

Saltdean United: Stroomberg, Doherty, Rogers, Allen, Jones, Graves, Warwick, Berry, House, Street, Kinkene.
Subs. Bacon, Marshall, Gauler, Brotherton, Hurley

Match Report by : Andy Crisp

Attendance : unknown

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *