Peacehaven & Telscombe 1-2 Broadbridge Heath

Peacehaven & Telscombe 1-2 Broadbridge Heath

20th October 2018 0 First Team

Despite having three players suspended Broadbridge Heath got back to winning ways in the Southern Combination League with a narrow victory at Peacehaven on Saturday thanks to a late goal by debutante Ryan Brackpool.

Heath were rampant from kick off and could have taken the lead in the opening minute when Lee Carney played a diagonal ball from the right over the defence to Ollie Moore who cut in from the left and met Carney’s pass in his stride only to be denied by the Peacehaven keeper Alieu Secka, the ball rebounded back to Moore whose second attempt was again blocked by Secka and went out for a corner. Tom Bold took the kick and played it deep to Marlon Maxwell who rose above everyone to place a header into the top right hand corner of the net for his first league goal of the season.

Straight from kick off it could have been two when Carney picked out Richard Wetton on the edge of the penalty area and the midfield player drilled a low shot straight at the Peacehaven keeper.

It took some time for the home side to recover but gradually they did and on 16 minutes former Heath player Jake LeGrange played a ball in from the right which was met by Reilly Grant who struck it well from 16 yards but it flew straight to the Bears keeper Kieron Thorp, a minute later Thorp was in action again to deny Callum Hart and the score should have been level on 19 minutes when Bradley Bant received the ball 12 yards from goal but drilled his effort straight into the arms of the Heath stopper.

Midway through the half Devon Fender won the ball off a Peacehaven defender but Secka was off his line like a shot to smoother the ball and deny the Heath striker a goal scoring opportunity.

Just before the break Jake Brocklebank struck a beauty from the edge of the box which beat Thorp but crashed against the bar and out to safety and in the final seconds Hart went down in the penalty area under a challenge from Andy Waddingham, the match referee blew his whistle with the Heath defenders arguing that the player had dived and the official agreed awarding Heath a free kick and a caution for the Peacehaven man.

The hosts started the second half well with Matthew Cheeseman going close with a shot narrowly wide of Thorps right post but despite having the majority of play and at times playing some lovely possession football, the final ball rarely trouble Thorp and despite the pressure it was the Bears who had the best chance to increase their lead when Fender got behind the right full back and drilled a shot towards goal that Secka smothered at the near post.

With 6 minutes remaining Maxwell pulled up with cramp and while he was off the field having treatment the hosts took advantage of the extra man and played a deep free kick into the Heath penalty area, the ball pinged around before finding its way to Curtis Ford who scored from 8 yards. The Heath players were convinced the Peacehaven man was in an offside position when he received the ball and their protests led to cautions for Thorp and Carney but the goal stood.

In the final minutes of the match Heath were awarded a corner which Bold played in towards the near post, a defender tried to head it clear but it skimmed off his head straight to the far post where Ryan Brackpool rose above the pack to power a header into the roof of the net for the winning goal.

Steve Painter was particularly happy with the result he said “We spent a lot of time working on corners at training this week, both defending and attacking and its great when you see that work pay off”.

BBH: Thorp, Waddingham, Robinson, Maxwell (L.Riecker 85), Brackpool, Howard-Bold, Carney, Cousins, Fender, Wright, Wetton (Cook 80).

Peacehaven: Secka, Wiltshire, Bant, Grant, Kilula, Elliott, LeGrange, Brocklebank, Mynhardt, Cheeseman, Hart. Subs: Phillips, Burton, Adams, Ford

Match Report by : Andy Crisp

Attendance : T.B.C.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *