Broadbridge Heath 6-0 Langney Wanderers

Broadbridge Heath 6-0 Langney Wanderers

8th December 2018 0 First Team

The pitch at Broadbridge Heath Leisure Centre was deemed fit for play after torrential rain on Friday had put the game at risk.

However, within minutes of the game starting the floodlights were on as the heavens opened and together with the strong wind conditions were not conducive to play football.

Despite Heath missing Martyn Flack, Jamie Robinson and Scott Weller (unavailable), the suspended Charlie Leach and long term injury victim and top scorer Devon Fender Heath started brightly, although finding the final ball difficult due to the conditions. Heaths best chance falling to the lively Richard Wetton after 15 minutes, but the chance was missed as the ex-Lingfield man scuffed his shot wide of Dan Hutchins’ goal.

Heath gradually got into their stride and in the 23rd minute George Cousins cut in from the left flank shooting powerfully, but straight at Hutchins. Two minutes later and Heath were in front. Lee Carney played in by skipper Tom Bold, reaches the ball before the oncoming ‘keeper, lifting the ball past him and into the net. Seconds after the restart Cousins chests the ball down just outside the box, but shoots over.

Dean Wright is next into the action crossing from the right, Cousins just failing to get on the end of it. With the rain now easing a long throw from Wetton is headed away for a corner. Bold takes the resulting corner and a powerful header from Ryan Brackpool doubles Heaths lead. Three minutes later another Wetton throw is headed wide by the same player.

After 37 minutes Langney bring on their only available substitute and a minute later Ryan Alexander is shown a red card for a late tackle on Wetton. So with the visitors now down to 10 men and no substitutes left it seems an uphill task for them to get back into the game. In first half added time Wetton scores his second goal to make the game reasonably safe for Heath with Langney now down to nine men, an injury forcing Matt Fear to leave the field.

Heath had the ball in the net again after 2 minutes of the second half, only for it to be disallowed for offside. Minutes later Langney almost pulled a goal beck, substitute Gary Ingram shooting just wide of Kieron Thorp in the Heath goal.

After 63 minutes a great move down the right finishing with Bold shooting just over. However, it was Bold who made it 4-0 after 64 minutes. His initial shot being blocked, but making no mistake with the follow up.

Two minutes later and it’s five – Wetton netting his second of the game. After 73 minutes the final goal of the game courtesy of George Cousins wrapping the game up.

Heaths final effort on goal a curling Wright shot just missing the top right hand corner.

The win puts Broadbridge Heath up to 5th place, only 3 points from 4th place, unbeaten in 5 games, winning 4, scoring 16 and conceding only 2.

Broadbridge Heath: Kieron Thorp, Tim Cook, Andy Waddingham, Marlon Maxwell, Ryan Brackpool, Tom Bold ©, Lee Carney, Ollie Moore, Dean Wright, George Cousins, Richard Wetton

Subs: Harry Balfour, Louis Blake, Dane Riecker Unused Sub: Conor Evento

Heath travel to Lingfield on Saturday hoping to keep the pressure on the leaders – KO at 3pm.

Report By: Mick Robinson


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *