Lingfield 3-1 Broadbridge Heath

Lingfield 3-1 Broadbridge Heath

15th December 2018 0 First Team

Winning Run Comes To An End

On a wet and windy afternoon at Lingfield Steve Painter’s men failed to keep up the high standards they had been showing recently and came out second best to the Surrey side. The Home fixture had ended in a 5-4 victory for the Bears and this game could also have had more goals in it with both sides hitting the woodwork. The bears were without Charlie Leach, Martyn Flack, Tim Cook, Dean Wright and Devon Fender but welcomed back Scott Weller who had to fill in up front, with Andy Waddingham standing in at right back.

Heath started slowly as the home side hustled them at every turn and looked to switch the ball at every opportunity to the pacey Lorenzo Lewis on the left wing. Although Ollie Moore got Heath put in some dangerous through balls for Heath, most of the threat came from the home side and they took the lead through Jake Horn on 14 minutes after Heath backed off giving him the chance to find the bottom corner.

Heath looked to get back in the game with several scrambles in the home box one of which resulted in Lingfield keeper Ollie Moore making a fantastic save to stop his namesake’s shot finding the net. But just when Heath appeared to be getting a foothold in the game Horn made it 2-0 from a Lewis cross when Heath again gave the attackers too much time to pick out his man. Heath continued to huff and puff but Lingfield looked the sharper side. Then shortly before half time Ollie Moore’s shot came back off the post and Ryan Brackpool blasted in to reduce the arrears.

Heath started the second half on the front foot with Moore in the home goal again distinguishing himself and Heath forcing a whole series of corners but unable to force the ball home. Cousins hit the bar and several balls across the goal went begging. But as the game went on Heath became far more direct playing a lot of long balls but gradually becoming less effective as Lingfield soaked up the pressure and understandably slowed the game whenever possible. The home side were still quick to break and from one of these, in the last minute Sam Clements found the net after Heath had appeared to have got enough men back to clear the danger.

Steve Painter felt that there were times that the ball had not dropped for his side but that overall it was a fair result with his team not doing enough to get a result, He will hope to get a few players back for next week’s tough looking fixture at home to Saltdean and get back to the form of the past month.

Heath: Thorp, Waddingham, Robinson, Maxwell, Brackpool, Bold, Carney, Moore, Weller (D Riecker), Cousins, Wetton Subs: L Riecker, Balfour.

Author: Sam Chapman

Attendance: 46

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *